So, you have written a book, got a publisher (well done you, nobody but us knows how much work and heartache you have endured so far), you book is live on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and noble and everywhere else one can possible buy ebooks. Your publisher is doing their thing and you are trying your best to get the word out about your book, you are on facebook, your tweeting , and of course you have a blog because you have been contracted to do all these things in your publishing deal, and also, because now that it is out there, you actually really want to know what people think..
- Facebook – it goes ok, most of my likes are other authors trying to get me to like their page through liking mine.
- Twitter – deeto, I have had over 200 followers – all authors
So I know we authors read a lot – but really , even if I tried and read from morning to evening I could not get through the amount of free books I have been sent since releasing Golden.
- Goodreads – that is different, here I connect with readers, I am actually getting books recommended I want to read and can recommend my book to others. I like it.
- WordPress- here I get the least contact. I write, I share, I read other peoples interesting blogs, but little contact, no feedback. I have heard from others that their blog is the hardest to get going.
Ad last but not least, what I had sort of relied on from the beginning were my
- Friends and acquaintances: so I am quite a private person, I only have a handful of facebook friends, but I just assumed they would all be excited for me. Sadly I forgot they all have their own busy lives and the most I have had is a random, ‘oh, well , thats cool’… No shares on their pages, no clapping my back, and out of 70 I know of only 3 that have read it and answered my pleads for leaving a review on Amazon. I would do it for them. A few people have surprised me, people who I did not think would even look up at the mention of my name have been so supportive it warms my heart. They have shared my posts and liked my pages, read my book and left awesome kind reviews. When you need people and want support is when you notice who steps up and who doesn’t. Those that haven’t won’t even see this and those that have know who they are so there is zero harm in talking so openly on the WWW.
Fellow Authors : Well I have met some brilliant people ! All round what an experience, from unknown authors to have the support of famous ones has been my favourite thing about my writing adventure. I would have thought there would be more competition, but except a very few exceptions (where falsehood and nastiness crept in) I have had nothing but support and friendly encouraging words. So thank you all you fellow authors
Here is where I want you all to comment and get in touch, what has your experience been ?